Our September Spotlight! is shining brightly on National Workforce Development Month, and the organization responsible for its creation, the National Association of Workforce Development Professionals.
As the result of a nationwide 2014 campaign, NAWDP, “The Voice of the Professional”, was successful in having September designated as National Workforce Development Month “to honor all those individual professionals who play such a vital role in our nation’s economic recovery efforts.”
During the campaign, NAWDP’s website stated, “We hope our call for recognition through National Workforce Development Month will strike a responsive chord and bring support from political leadership, businesses, educational agencies, economic development organizations, labor unions and customers who continue to benefit from our services across the country.”
KRA is proud to partner with NAWDP, welcoming the opportunity to support the advancement of our industry through their innovative activities, events, and programs, including:
- Advancing the Profession Awards – KRA employees were recipients of the Jodie Spiegel Enhancement of Customer Service Award, 2013 and 2014, as well as the Professional Development Award, 2013 and 2015.
- Conferences, Training, and Webinars – KRA is a longtime sponsoring supporter of annual NAWDP Conferences and Youth Development Symposia, registering staff to attend and/or present trainings and workshops; a KRA employee has produced videos for Plenary Sessions of the 2012 and 2013 National Conferences, as well as the 2012 and 2014 Youth Symposia; and senior staff have facilitated and/or moderated several Webinars and a YouTube Video.
- Credentialing – As part of its ongoing staff development and training initiatives, KRA offers support to all eligible employees to earn recognition as Certified Workforce Development Professionals.
- Leadership Opportunities – Both corporate- and program-operations staff have been elected to serve on the NAWDP Board of Directors, including Vice Chair and Chair, two terms each position; State Director, Connecticut, 2 terms/current; and Regional Director, Region 9, current.
- New and Emerging Professionals Initiative – Limited to 10 participants, four KRA employees were selected for the initial NEP Cohort, 2014-2015, and two more for 2015-2016.
According to Knowlton R. Atterbeary, KRA President & CEO, “NAWDP is the most powerful ally and partner our industry sector has, as an innovator and leader in advocating for the highest possible standards of excellence in service. We applaud their continual call-to-arms to honor our industry, not just in September, but every day of every month.”